Sunday, January 30, 2011

Le Bal - Le Cafe I Heart

Le Bal Cafe - noted recently by an article in the New York Times as having "the best coffee in Paris"...
Big call I thought as I consulted the metro map and began planning a girls day out with my equally coffee crazed amis - and so it was that our rendezvous for a ladies lunch at Le Bal was born.
Ladies lunch followed by an afternoon trawl of Paris' answer to a girls fashion fix on a shoe string budget. I am talking fripps (Op Shops) and it just so happens that there is an amazing PROPER fripp (any "fripp" sporting prices in the double digits for what could well be my Nan's nighty - albeit a very cool nighty, is not a proper fripp) 2 mins from Le Bal (directly opposite the start of Le Passage de la Defense) called Guerrisol. 5 euro leather skirt - tick!

At Place de Clichy metro we were surprised that there was a sign pointing us in the direction of Le Bal as we came up the metro exit stairs. A short stroll up Avenue de Clichy and a right turn onto the cobbled laneway Passage de la Defense had us standing out the front of the acclaimed Le Bal. Quite a stark, minimalist cafe at first glance - large, glass fronted doors, white walls, white tables. There was however a certain buzz about the place as we soon realised, Le Bal is not just a Cafe but also an exhibition space and bookstore (ah, this explains the signs at the metro - I was thinking it was strange that there were signs directing us to a Cafe).

The love heart sculpted frothy topped latte did not disappoint (I am a mega fuss pot so I would say it could have been a touch hotter however, this apparantly spoils the coffee - as I am notified so frequently upon requesting such a thing as "un cafe tres tres chaud s'il vous plait"). In fact, I would say that in my 6 months in Paris it is overall the best quality coffee I have had yet.

I had the smoked salmon which was delectable and a very generous serve. Presented with a wedge of lemon and a plate of real bread - wholegrainy, crusty, fresh - rare features of the bread in many a Parisian bread basket. Topped off with the cheesecake for desert, we were just about ready to hit the road when we were told to pay up and bail out (in the nicest possible way) as a giant squid like line had begun to weave its tentacles outside - standard feature at all good cafes on the weekend in Paris.

The coffee was definitely the stand out at Le Bal. I went back again this morning for another and the barista told me that the secret is in the milk which comes from Normandy and the beans which come from the roaster Cafe Lomi in the 17th Arrondissment.


The proximity to the fripp is another plus, and lastly (but not leastly), the waiters who are also the owners of Le Bal Cafe are a little bit saucey too (see photo which I totally got sprung taking...oops - I HEART YOU LE BAL). Certainly be back soon for a vino or 5.

Le Bal Cafe

6 Impasse de la Defense
75018 Paris
Metro - Place de Clichy







































































No comments:

Post a Comment