Monday, February 7, 2011

Caffe Moro, Paris - The Battle of Italian Coffee

I have been on a trojan horse ride with this cafe....



Close to my house - tick.



Quiet Skype conditions - tick.



Really nice Italian coffee - tick.



Entered into a small trench-like petty feud with one of the serveuses - tick!




The timeline of events leading to battle:



I came here for the first time with a couple of friends on a lazy Sunday arvo and we ordered wine and an antipasto plate which was delicious. Cafe Morro is an Italian cafe on Rue Charonne (10 minutes walk from the Bastille), and boasts an array of panino, insalate, pasta and mozzarelle to knock many Romans warriors from their steeds (I am currently salivating over a little old lady sitting outside tucking into her perfect looking antipasti filled toasted panini).



So my first experience here was great - the Parisian born, Italian owner custom made us little fuss pots a very particular platter (we wanted more than just bread, cheese and meat which is near impossible in Paris) and we got a bit tipsy on Italian wine. A few weeks later I came back to try the coffee with high expectations. It is a little more exxy than our other locals at around 3.80 for a cafe au lait however, it is well worth it. The beans are high quality and roasted by the best in Italy. I come back as a patriotic little customer around once per week.



I started to feel quite loved 2 weeks ago when the serveuse asked me if I wanted my regular coffee in a mug instead - oh yes please I responded with a smile. Then came time to pay and I was up for just under 5 euro! As it dawned on me that had not made a new friend at all, rather, I had been the target of a calculated upsell! I puffed that it was too expensive and huffed away.


Returning a few days later....



I have since started jokingly referring to Cafe Morro as The Moron (TM) yet I come back religiously - its very strange. The nice owner and her wonderful coffee seem to be able to drown out my current mild dislike for TM (during my last visit here I asked for a jug of water with my coffee. Apparantly the biggest water 'jug' available here is shot glass which she handed me with a pesky smirk....)



The coffee here is really nice! When I arrived today I started talking to TM (we are beginning a slow recovery and I expect the signing of the treaty is imminent) and asked where the beans were from...."c'est un secret" that she could not divulge.


The cafe also stocks a small variety of Italian goods - chocolate, pastas, sauces etc.

So I will continue to return to Caffe Moro/The Moron and I would recommend it for its great Italian food, Italian coffee and lovely little Italian owner....and if im honest I think what is quickly transforming into an almost playful (pretend sword) feud makes it just that little bit more fun.




Caffe Moro

31 Rue De Charonne
75011 Paris
Metro: Ledru-Rollin







No comments:

Post a Comment