Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sweat Shop in Paris

I am on my way to my first day at the Sweat Shop. Lugging an oversized sack bearing the 'tools of the (rag) trade' and experiencing a certain anxiously awkward first day on the job feeling.


With a subtle blend of curiousity and nervousness I ponder the prospects of what will come of me when I enter the facility. Questions like how long do I stay, will they feed me, how are the work conditions? Entering this unknown, slightly secretive domain I am drowning with many different manifestations of excitement!



I take a left turn onto the named street and start looking for signs -plumes of dark industrial smoke littering the already grey Paris sky, darkened windows shielding shady, secret affairs within, noisy machines, people with half fingers....but no...once again the imagination bolted.










Sweat Shop, opened in March 2010 is self described as "Cafe Couture"- 10 Singer sewing stations surround a big central craft table equipped with various tools and materials.





Patrons may book in for one of the creative sewing and knitting classes (about 5 are held each week) or you can attend solo with your projects, find a seat and get to work - Singer machine hire is a very reasonable 6 euro/hr.


Open everyday from 1pm, Sweat Shop is much more than just your standard cafe. Its a cafe with environmental conscious and supports the notion of reusing what we already have - creative therapy over retail therapy.

The tea and coffee here is served in intricately crafted and painted tea sets - no doubt sourced by the sweet (and very helpful, English speaking) Sweedish owner from the local broccante (antique) market. The room out the back of the cafe has a nice comfy seating area where you can perch yourself with your tea and cake and knit, sew or just drink tea until your hearts content.



We spent about 3 hours here yesterday and I would highly recommend it. I am already rummaging through the drawers to find something I can revitalise for next time!










All without a bead of sweat...








Sweat Shop Paris

13 Rue Lucien Sampax
75010 Paris
Metro: Jacques Bonsergent
http://www.sweatshopparis.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment